Monday, November 9, 2009

Sorrowful Yet Rejoicing


"Sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything” (II Corinthians 6:10).

Although fall is my favorite season of the year, it is a bittersweet time for me as well.  The golden days of autumn are lovely and I want them to linger. The mixed emotions that fall brings remind me of an incident that occurred some months ago.

We planned to visit one of our daughters to celebrate her birthday, and she lived five hours away. Unfortunately I was in the midst of a major flare-up with back pain. I knew that I could become anxious and fearful concerning the duration and intensity of my pain, and that starting my rounds of medications often resulted in a totally depressed and discouraged frame of mind. I also knew if I went down that path this time, the trip could be spoiled not only for myself but for my daughter and husband as well. I truly wanted my response to be different.

God had proved Himself faithful countless times before. Why would He disappoint me now? The Lord enabled me to have wonderful victory. I was in pain or discomfort the entire weekend, yet I can honestly say that I enjoyed the trip and did not allow my problems to dampen the visit. Would I have enjoyed it more without the pain? Of course! Yet I was given grace to enjoy it through the pain.

Very few things in this life will bring complete joy and happiness. There is usually some bittersweetness in every joyous occasion. If nothing else I know it will end. Yet God gives me the ability to find joy in the midst of sorrow, bringing me comfort for the moment at hand and giving me hope for the eternal future yet to come.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I praise You for the joy that will be mine in eternity. Now in this earthly life, give me the ability to rejoice even through sorrow, recognizing the good amidst the pain. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment