Monday, November 9, 2009

The Lord Is My Light


"The Lord is my light and my salvation -  whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1).

My husband and I love lighthouses. While visiting our daughter in Maine one summer, we saw some of the northern lighthouses.  They were beautiful and impressive to behold.

Lighthouses have been vital structures for years. By night their shining lights have kept many ships from crashing onto rocks and sand bars, lighting the way through the inky blackness. By day they have been a welcome sign of land after many long days and perhaps months at sea. Their lights are visible at all times regardless of the weather, and they stand firm against the fiercest storms.

As I looked at the lighthouses in Maine, I was reminded that they are wonderful representations of our God. On sunny days we may enjoy this journey of life, looking to Him and knowing the eternal home towards which we journey. On foggy days of fear and uncertainty, His light is there to offer hope and strength. On our darkest days of pain and weakness, His promises keep us from crashing onto the rocks of discouragement and despair. There is no storm in our lives that He cannot help us withstand, no waves that He cannot still, no darkness so black that His light cannot penetrate.

The seas of our daily lives vary as much as the changing ocean, depending upon our physical conditions and circumstances. The lighthouse of God’s presence remains firm and solid. “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God” (Isaiah 41:10).

Prayer: Lord, thank You for being my light and salvation. Help me to keep my eyes focused on that light today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment