Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Beginning to Sink


"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2).

While growing up, my dad was an interim preacher for many churches. We traveled with him and sometimes would hear the same sermon for weeks. One of his favorites was entitled “Beginning to Sink”, based on the story of Peter walking on the water to Christ. Dad focused on one’s eternal future and dying. Now however, I relate the story to living.

Initially, Peter had enough faith to step out of the boat and  into the crashing waves, blowing wind, and darkness. Rather than viewing his situation from an earthly perspective, he looked with eyes of trust in and love for the One towards whom he walked. But when his eyes were drawn away from Christ and toward his surroundings, he lost his faith. The moment that happened, his fears became reality.

I am much like Peter. When I take my eyes off Christ for even a moment, I begin to sink. I look at others and am envious. I remember my past and grieve. I think of the present and despair. I look toward the future and am afraid. I lose my faith. Faith is total trust in God, believing that He is good, and that His plans for me are the best even now in my life of trials and pain.

Christ has said He will never leave me or forsake me. He is upholding me with His victorious right hand. He is greater than the one who is in the world. He is a God who works wonders. He is accomplishing His purpose for me. When I keep my eyes focused on Christ and His promises only, I too experience His miracles: endurance to press on during pain and discouragement, strength to touch others despite my weakness, and enjoyment and refreshment in the midst of struggles. He surely is worthy of my complete faith and trust, and will keep me from sinking.

Prayer: Lord, give me a steadfast faith that will not waver, fixing my eyes on You alone. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment