Monday, November 9, 2009

God's Workmanship


“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do” (Ephesians 2:10).

As an adult, I have always associated who I am with what I achieve. At the end of a day, if I could list various things I had accomplished, it was a good day. Days during which I accomplished nothing or very little seemed like wasted days. My self-worth was based on activities and accomplishments.

As my physical and sometimes mental and emotional limitations have increased, my “accomplishments” have decreased. At one point I had to give up everything for a time – my church ministries, my job, my social time with friends, and my hobbies. My three daughters also left home, thus I was facing empty nest as well.  I felt I had lost my identity and my reason for living. Life seemed meaningless, useless, and purposeless.

This verse opposes those thoughts. God created each of us knowing what our lives would hold. He knew the illnesses, pain, and circumstances we would face. The word “workmanship” speaks to me of great craftsmanship, care, planning and forethought, not something shoddy and imperfect. The second half of the above verse is also of great encouragement. Psalm 139:16 says that God planned our days before we were even born. Despite how limited we are in our abilities, there are things that only we can accomplish for God. No matter how small our sphere of influence, there is someone we can touch each day, whether through a prayer, an e-mail, or an actual encounter. We are all very special and necessary to God and His kingdom work, regardless of how insignificant or useless we feel on a given day. That thought is reason enough to start each day, remembering that “he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion, until the day of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 1:6).

Prayer: Heavenly Father, let me not forget how precious I am in Your sight, and that You have created me for special work that only I can do for Your kingdom. Thank you for making me just as I am. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment