Monday, November 9, 2009

A Perfect Life


“See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ”
(Colossians 2:8).

I have always struggled with perfectionism. In order for something to be enjoyable, it had to be as close to perfect as possible. Before my health decline, if an event or activity was not “perfect”, it was a disappointment. I wanted perfect weather, perfect health, perfect activities, and perfect attitudes. Needless to say, not many things lived up to my expectations.

The world promotes the idea that to be truly happy, life must be perfect. If it is not, there are ways to reach that desired state. Television commercials and magazine advertisements are prime examples of this philosophy. We are constantly lured into believing that what we want is within our reach. We can attain it and even have a right to it.

As one with chronic health issues, this idea is one of the world’s “hollow and deceptive philosophies” that is a great temptation to me. If I believe that I can enjoy something only if conditions are just right (no pain or problems), then I will enjoy very few things. I will miss opportunities in which to persevere and grow. I will miss moments not only to increase my faith in God, but also to allow God to show His faithfulness to me.

The perfection I seek will not be found during this earthly life. We were originally created by God for a perfect existence with Him, and the desire for that is within us. Yet we have to accept the fact that it will not be realized until eternity. The world’s view of “the best” is a far different standard from God’s view and it can never satisfy us. Until then, why should I miss many moments of blessing that the Lord gives by saying they are not good enough? “As for God, his way is perfect” (Psalm 18:30). His way for me is perfect as well.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, give me endurance to wait for the glorious life ahead. While I wait, help me to see all the blessings You have given me in this imperfect world and to make the most of them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment