Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Standing on the Heights


“It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights”
(Psalm 18:32,33).

Although not athletic as a child, in young adulthood I discovered some physical activities I enjoyed and had a few short years to pursue them – bicycling, jogging, aerobics, and walking. Those activities left me feeling exhilarated, motivated and energized. I took the ability to do those things for granted, fitting them into my schedule as time allowed. As my health issues slowly started increasing, my physical activities dwindled. Little of those activities remain today. Although the losses were somewhat gradual, it was still extremely difficult to give up hope of them being restored.

On a visit to the mountains with my husband, we took a few short hikes.  I enjoyed that day immensely, but suffered repercussions of the walks for days afterwards and was tempted to begin my downhill spiral of self-pity. I realized, however, that although I live with physical limitations, I have opportunities to “exercise” my body and mind every day. I can endure physical as well as mental and emotional pain and do it well. God gives me strength to survive every day.  Each morning I can put on the spiritual armor and prepare to fight my battles, regardless of how tired or weak I feel. Psalm 18:29 says that with God’s help I can advance against a troop and scale a wall. My “troop” may be countless negative thoughts.  My “wall” may be the task of getting up, dressed, and ready to face the day. God can and will enable me to exercise faith and self-discipline in any circumstances.

My physical limitations are part of this earthly life, but one day in eternity I will be able to literally run with hind’s feet to the top of the mountain. How wonderful that will feel! For today, I can stand on the heights in my own way, praise God.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, remind me that whatever mountains I am facing in my life, they are not too high to climb with You. Strengthen my feeble arms and weak knees, and lead me to the rock that is higher than I. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment