Monday, November 9, 2009

God's Name - A Strong Tower


“Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name” (Psalm 105:1).

Scripture is filled with passages encouraging us to call upon the name of the Lord. Psalm 18:3 says, “I call to the Lord who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.” I have many enemies. These enemies are not physical human beings, but rather thoughts and feelings that rob me of my faith and joy in God. The enemies of fear, worry, anger, depression, and many others draw me away from believing that God is truly good and in control of my life. At times, these feelings are natural human responses, but Satan knows how to use them in such a way that they become enemies to my spiritual and physical well-being.

God has many names in Scripture and I have found it helpful to speak them. I may praise Him for being my Elohim (Creator) when I am able to enjoy the beauty of this world. I may cry out for Him to be my Jehovah-sabaoth ( Lord of Hosts) when I need His protection against the attacks of Satan’s lies. When I feel abandoned and hopeless, He is my El Roi (the God Who Sees). I continually ask Him to be Jehovah-rapha (Healer), and above all He is my Savior. God’s name is powerful. It is a strong tower – a place of safety and refuge (Proverbs 18:10). On the days when I am weary with pain and discouragement, I run to that strong tower where I find the grace and strength I so desperately need.

Just as I know God’s name, He knows mine: “He calls his own sheep by name” (John 10:3). How wonderful that we each can have such an intimate relationship with our Lord! He knows our names and our needs even before we ask. And how comforting to know that regardless of how often we call His name, He always hears our cry.

Prayer: Almighty Lord, Your Word says that because You love me, You will rescue me and protect me because I know Your name. When I call, You will answer (Psalm 91:14,15). Thank you for those wonderful and comforting promises. Help me to believe those promises today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment