Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Setting Our Hearts on Pilgrimage


"Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca (Weeping), they make it a place of springs. . . They go from strength to strength, til each appears before God in Zion"  (Psalm 84:5-7).

The above passage is one of my favorites, and I recently noticed the word “pilgrimage” for the first time. A pilgrimage is a long journey. But what does it mean to set our hearts on it? We must realize it is indeed a journey. This walk of a pain-filled life is not brief and does not have easy resolutions. It will, however, have an ending, just as any earthly journey does. We must keep our eyes set on our heavenly destination, maintaining an attitude of faith, perseverance, and determination, regardless of what we encounter along the way. If our hearts are truly set on this journey with God, nothing will make us give up. We will stay on this road and keep going, trusting in the One who planned our trip.

As we persevere God turns our tears into pools of refreshment, not only for ourselves but for others as well. He enables us to go from strength to strength – not trial to trial or suffering to suffering. With any new obstacle we encounter – any pain, disability, or crisis – the Lord provides new strength to get us through and to continue on our journey.

Some days I enjoy my pilgrimage and other days I do not. But regardless of how I feel or what I encounter, He will be there with me until I see His face.

Prayer: Lord, may I set my heart on this journey with You, ready to accept whatever pain and trials You allow. I know that You are here and will continue to give the refreshment, comfort, and strength that I need to keep on traveling. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment