Monday, November 9, 2009

A Firm Foundation


“He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure” (Isaiah 33:6).

I have spent most of my years living in the south. I have seen numerous homes that are several hundred years old. In fact, in the early years of my marriage, we lived in a farmhouse that pre-dated the Civil War. Obviously these buildings must have solid foundations to have withstood the ravages of time.

We need firm foundations in our lives as well. If our foundations – where we place our trust and hope – are cracking or crumbling, our lives will eventually come tumbling down around us. This is even more true for those of us dealing with chronic health issues on a daily basis. How we need the strength and solidarity of the Lord to help us through our challenges!

As this verse states, the Lord is our source of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge. As sinners, we are in great need of a Savior. Many times a day we may react in anger, fear, or faithlessness concerning our health struggles. We need His wisdom to give us guidance concerning medications, treatments, and activity levels. We need the knowledge of Him that Scripture gives, so that we may speak the truth to ourselves in times of trial. The Biblical truths that God is good, loving, all-knowing, all-powerful, compassionate, and in total control of our lives will help us through our difficult days. Fearing the Lord is to trust Him, to be in reverent awe of Him, to give Him glory through all circumstances, and to yield our lives to Him, even when circumstances are not of our choosing.

I don’t want my foundation to be upon the sands of this life. I want my foundation resting on the mountainous rock of the Lord and His Word. Then when the rains come, I will still be standing (Matthew 7:25-27).

Prayer: O Lord, how firm a foundation is laid for me in your excellent word. You strengthen me, help me, and cause me to stand, upheld by your omnipotent hand. May I lean on you this day. Amen. (Hymn – How Firm A Foundation)

No comments:

Post a Comment