Monday, November 9, 2009

Songs of Joy


"Where morning dawns and evening fades, you call forth songs of joy" (Psalm 65:8).

I have always loved this verse because it reminds me of the early morning hours when the world is just waking up. It’s such a tranquil time before the rush of life begins. Enjoying the morning hours has become difficult over the last several years due to health issues, and the past few mornings have been especially hard for me. I have been dealing with another round of back pain, this time more severe than it has been in quite awhile. As I write this I am literally on my knees, unable to sit. My usual response to this kind of setback has been a cycle of pain, panic, and depression. But this time, I wanted to call forth songs of joy rather than despair.

Each morning, creation sings of the Creator through sunrises and birdsongs. I’ve noticed it even more lately with the approach of spring. I am reminded of the passages in Scripture describing the trees as clapping their hands and the mountains and hills bursting into song. I can almost imagine this as I watch the newly budding tree branches rustling in the morning breeze. The Lord’s presence can speak even through the rains of a cloudy morning. God is here and the earth proclaims this in any weather.

I want to do that too, despite my physical condition. Psalms 97:11 says light dawns for the righteous and joy for the upright in heart. I want that light and joy to dawn this morning, in the midst of this pain and incapacity. I don’t usually handle these setbacks righteously or uprightly, but the fact that He is giving me even the desire to praise Him through this is testimony to the fact that He is here - now - in this new morning. Our God is a mighty God who works wonders, and this time, perhaps He is working one in me.

Prayer: Thank you God that this is Your world and all nature sings to You. Let me hear it and see it today despite my circumstances, calling forth songs of joy in me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment