Monday, November 9, 2009

The Mountains of God


“I will lift my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth” (Psalm 121:1,2).

What is there about mountains that attract us? We enjoy climbing them, vacationing to them, and photographing them. Gazing up at an individual mountain peak or a vast mountain range is awesome to behold - beautiful and majestic in any season of the year. Whether they are bare, snow-covered, green, or golden, mountains evoke feelings of strength, protection, and peacefulness – wonderful visual images of God’s might and power.

Yet mountains can leave us feeling isolated and lonely as well. At times I associate mountains with difficult obstacles in my life, such as my daily pain and ongoing health struggles. In those moments when mountains do not seem so pleasant, I need to run to the Lord and His Word.

Psalm 97:5 says the mountains melt like wax before the Lord. Think about the weight of even one small hill and the power it would take to move it. This is the power of our God. The God who created, melts, and moves mountains is the God who loves me and lives within me. He is reigning over the entire earth, including my individual life. Nothing that comes my way can keep His power and peace from reaching me.

I can choose to allow the mountains in my life to build faith and trust in God rather than allowing them to leave me feeling desolate and alone. God created mountains – even mine. We will either climb them together, or He will remove them. Whatever He may choose, my help comes from Him.

Prayer: Father, as the mountains surround Jerusalem, so You surround Your people now and forevermore (Psalm 125:2). Surround me with the mountains of Your love, peace, and strength today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment