Monday, November 9, 2009

Soaring with God


"Those who wait on the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint"(Isaiah 40:31).

In the past few years, I have developed an interest in birds. God used birds to help me through my own “empty nest”, and I have found that bird watching is something I can do despite my physical limitations. One of the things I appreciate most about birds is their ability to soar and glide so effortlessly. At times they seem to fly simply for the pleasure of it, and they are beautiful and entertaining to watch.

With my new interest in birds, this verse has become even more meaningful to me now than in the past. I have struggled with depression for many years, and on my most difficult days, the heaviness can be overwhelming.  All I can do is to trust in God, knowing that these feelings will pass and are not based on the truths of God’s Word.

In those moments I need to remind myself that God can lift me up out of this heaviness and into the heights, soaring just like my birds. That may be difficult to believe when the depression or pain is so intense, yet every word of God proves true (Proverbs 30:5 NLT). I must believe that He is faithful and can bring me out of the depths of despair and into the heights of renewed energy and hope.

My body may not be swift, agile, and graceful like the birds, but my spirit can be lifted as God renews my strength. When I see birds flying in the sky, I want to take heart and remember that I too can soar, for I have a God who performs miracles and displays His power among the peoples (Psalm 77:14).

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank You that Your Spirit lives within me.  You raise me to new heights of endurance and perseverance,bringing joy and peace in the process. Carry me on Your wings today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment