Thursday, January 7, 2010

For the Praise of His Glory


“In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we . . . might be for the praise of his glory”
 (Ephesians 1:11,12).

I once read the book Images of the Blue Ridge Parkway by George Humphries. Taking more than twenty years to accumulate perfect photographs for the book, the author succeeded in creating a glorious work of art and beauty.

I’m sure the author traveled at all hours, in all kinds of weather, and in all seasons of the year to acquire such perfect pictures. He probably had some days that were not successful and some photos that were disappointing. Perhaps when he first began taking pictures, he didn’t even know that the end result would be this beautiful masterpiece. It was an accumulation of hours, days, months, and years of perseverance and effort.

I began thinking of my own life. I continually struggle with my purpose here and ask God why – why must I deal with these limitations when so many others I know are leading such full, active lives? Just when I think I have come to total acceptance, I enter another round of questioning.

I realized that my life is like that book. I have had seasons full of activity and accomplishment – some nice photos. Now I am in a different place. Yet the entire sum of my life is producing a work of art for God’s glory. He is producing a masterpiece in me and in all believers, but it is one that takes many years and experiences to complete.

When I wake up in the morning and have that old familiar feeling of “why another day, Lord?”, I want to think of that lovely book and what it took to produce it. I’m traveling on my journey with God and need to ask myself how I can live another page of glory to Him today.

Prayer: Lord, give me the strength and desire to make Your glory reason enough to answer all my “whys”. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment