Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ambassadors for Christ


"We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors,as though God were making his appeal
through us"(II Corinthians 5:20).

Our pastor once preached on this passage. I usually associate this verse with foreign missions, but as I listened, I was impressed with a new thought.

The word “ambassador” means having a mission or assignment to carry out. This verse does not say that Christ’s ambassadors are only the healthy, the strong, the mobile, or the mentally alert. It says that we – all believers – are on this mission for God.

Many days I may feel I don’t have any “assignment”– I may not be able to physically “do” anything from my perspective. I then thought about ambassadors to other countries. I’m sure there are times when every day is not packed with activity, yet they still remain as a constant presence, ready and prepared to represent their country.

I can do the same. There may be long periods where I feel there is no “mission” I am capable of carrying out for God, yet His Word says otherwise. We are God’s vessels on this earth. He has chosen us as well as the healthy and strong to represent Him. If nothing else, our continued perseverance and faith are an assignment which may have significant effects in someone else’s life.

An ambassador’s home is not where he is serving. He is living there temporarily until his mission is accomplished. I am actually doing that now on earth.  Some days I am ready to finish my assignment  and be sent home.  But the Lord knows what only I can do for Him, and until that is finished, He will keep me here. One glorious day I will be able to say, “Mission accomplished”. May I also hear the Lord say, “Well done thou good and faithful servant”.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you that You choose not only the whole and healthy but the weak and infirm as Your vessels, for when we are weak, then You are strong. May we look on every day as an opportunity to represent You and to do it well. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment