Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Being Made Holy


“By one sacrifice, He has made perfect forever those who are being made holy”
(Hebrews 10:14).

It is difficult for me to understand that God sees me now as the perfect creation I will be in eternity. Yet because of Christ’s sacrifice, my eternal perfection has already been accomplished. Now, in this earthly life, I am being made holy. I would much rather be made perfect now and be made holy in the future, but that is not God’s plan.

The definition of holy is “to be consecrated, set apart, dedicated or devoted to the service of God”. The world is not too concerned about holiness. Many people do not even understand that concept. How can I grow in holiness as I live with health problems? Do I believe that God is using these physical challenges to increase my holiness? Scripture says I am being made holy now – it is an ongoing process in this life. Whatever God is allowing in my life must be working toward that end.

There are opportunities to increase my dedication and devotion to God even while facing health challenges. Christian music, movies, and books are all wonderful ways to promote spiritual growth and draw me closer to God. Limited abilities have the potential of changing my perspective on what is truly important in this life. Participation in any activities, regardless of how small or sporadic, provide opportunities for developing a more grateful and thankful heart. Enduring and growing in my commitment to the Lord while suffering may be examples of perseverance and strength to others, possibly spurring them on to greater dedication and faith.

Striving for holiness is an actual act of worship in which we can participate daily, even with our limitations (Romans 12:1). God uses different means in all believers’ lives to change them into His likeness. Our illnesses and pains may well be the tools He is using to bring about the holiness that He desires in us. Let us allow them to finish their work, so we may be mature and complete, lacking nothing (James 1:4).

Prayer: Heavenly Father, give me a heart that desires holiness. Help me to accept whatever methods You choose to conform me to Your image. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I say Amenn, thanks you for this blog and such good devotions. Hugs Barbara

    ReplyDelete