Sunday, November 8, 2015

Reflecting on the Goodness and Mercies of God


“Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this” (I Timothy 2:7).

Not too far from me is a picturesque lake surrounded by beautiful mountains.  I enjoy going there to walk, read, think, or pray.

As I was reading one of David Jeremiah’s devotionals, I thought of this lake.  He describes reflecting lakes as God’s mirrors, because we can view His creation from two perspectives at once.

The word “reflect” can refer to casting back an image as well as meditating on or re-thinking about something.

The following words from Dr. Jeremiah’s devotional apply to any season, but they seem particularly appropriate for Thanksgiving.

“This is a good season to review your life and reflect on God’s mercies. Take time to ponder the mountaintops of His unchangeable nature, the treetops of His lofty reign, the colors of His grace, the clouds of His anticipated return.  Take time to meditate on a verse He’s given you. Reflect on all this, and the Lord will give you fresh insight for living.”

Placid lake water beautifully reflects the landscape surrounding it.  Sometimes I become so consumed with my problems that I don’t see the many reflections of God’s goodness and mercy through my suffering.  I don’t spend time pondering His greatness and beauty, and I lose sight of the wonders that await me in eternity.

Reflecting on God’s attributes and Word calms the ripples and waves that pain and problems bring. Then I can more perfectly see the reflection of His power and presence in my life and respond with a thankful heart.

If you are struggling with a thankful attitude, find a spot that you enjoy and meditate on how God has and still does bring goodness and mercy to your life.  And who knows?  Perhaps you will have opportunity to be a beautiful reflection of Him to someone else this Thanksgiving season.

Prayer: Gracious God, sometimes it is hard to have a thankful attitude when I am in pain or suffering. I don’t take time to see the reflections of Your goodness and mercy in my life.  As I think on these things, give me a heart of thankfulness, and let me reflect this thankfulness to others.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment