Sunday, November 1, 2015

Is God Using Your Pain and Problems to Repurpose Your Life?


“For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose”
(Philippians 2:13).
 
I enjoy reading books and magazines on decorating, and lately I have noticed the term “repurposed” quite frequently.
 
If an item is repurposed, rather than throwing it away after it becomes, old, defective, or useless, it is given a new purpose or use.
 
Living in area with many local artisans, I have seen some amazing products made with repurposed materials - picture frames and cabinets made from old wood floors, jewelry made from old paper, sculptures made from trash metal, garden décor made from kitchen wares, cloth pumpkins made from old quilts, and nativity figures made from antique textile thread spools.  With some creativity, the possibilities are endless.
 
I can relate the concept of repurposing to my health problems. I don't have the same capabilities that I had in healthier years.  At times, these changes have left me feeling useless and purposeless.
 
Repurposing is accomplished by modifying something to fit a new use, and God has and continues to repurpose my life through the modifications that my health changes bring.  I may not be doing my previous work, volunteering, or church ministry, but God has led me to usefulness and service in other ways which are just as significant in His eyes as what I did in healthier times.
 
It takes creativity and effort to repurpose materials, but the results can be unique and quite useful.  Our disabilities may keep us from doing what we used to do, but with hearts and minds that are open to God's leading, and some creative thinking on our part, we can be repurposed in unique new ways for His glory.
 
Prayer:  Lord, thank you for the assurance that You will never discard me, and I will never outlive my usefulness to You. Although my body may not be what it once was, give me the direction and creativity to see new possibilities in serving you as I am now. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment