Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Gift of God’s Holy Spirit Revives Us


“He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior”
 (Titus 3:5,6).

This devotional is written in remembrance of Pentecost Sunday – the day that we celebrate the coming of the Holy Spirit on believers after Jesus ascended to heaven – which falls on June 8th this year.

Have you ever thought about what life was like for believers before the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost?  Although certain individuals were anointed with the Spirit at various times, the gift of the Holy Spirit was not given to all believers until after Jesus’ death and resurrection.

The Holy Spirit is our comforter.  He speaks the truth of Scripture into our minds and hearts.  He encourages us to keep going.  He gives us guidance and direction.  He is the presence of God in us.  And He has been poured out generously  - abundantly and unsparingly - within us.

Various Scripture passages associate the Holy Spirit with water, and I recently came across a good analogy of how the Spirit works in my life.  I am a tea drinker, so this analogy appealed to me. There is a certain kind of tea called flowering tea.  It comes in the form of a pod or ball and looks like dried up grass.  But when placed in a tea pot of boiling water, as the tea leaves soak up the water, they unfold into a lovely flower.

Just as the water causes the dry tea loves to soften and bloom, so the Holy Spirit revives our dry, hardened, or discouraged hearts.  The Holy Spirit renews our hope and speaks peace to our souls.  He fills us with power. 

I enjoyed watched my flowering tea pod unfold, but then the flower disintegrated into pieces and could not unfold again.  As I drank the tea, I thanked God for the way the Holy Spirit continually washes over and through me, reviving me, renewing me, and strengthening me for each challenge I face with my pain and problems.  What a precious gift!

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, when my spirit is discouraged and dry from dealing with my pain and problems, Your Spirit infuses me with comfort and strength to keep going.  Thank you for this wonderful gift of Your Presence within me.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment