Sunday, June 22, 2014

Capturing the Wonder in Each Day


“For you make me glad by your deeds, O Lord; I sing for joy at the work of your hands”
 (Psalm 92:4).

Years ago I was part of a summer mission team to France.  We did some sightseeing while there, and another team member commented on my excitement and awe.  She had been there before and had lost some of her wonder.  My excitement helped her recapture it.

I was reminded of this experience as I read an article by David Jeremiah in the July issue of Turning Points magazine.  In referring to the importance and appreciation of little things, he said, “Not everyone can sail off on a whale-spotting expedition, but we can all gaze in wonder at a goldfish bowl or watch the fish in the dentist’s office”.

That comment impacted me.  My daily focus may be on what is hurting or not hurting, what I need to do and whether I will be able to do it, and what everyone else is doing that I wish I could be doing.  To capture something means to seize it, perhaps using force.  I may need to force myself to look for the wonder that God has put in my path - through creation, people, and His Presence - instead of always looking at the problems and potential sources of discontentment in my life. 

In his book Recapture the Wonder, Ravi Zacharias says, “Wonder interprets life through the eyes of eternity while enjoying the moment, but never lets the momentary vision exhaust the eternal”.

I will enjoy the special moments of wonder that God brings.  I will anticipate all the wonder of eternity that I long for. And I will pray to see wonder on the painful, mundane days, knowing that God can bring gladness and joy through them, even as I wait for the wonders to come.

Prayer:  Gracious God, sometimes I become so focused on my pain, the cares of this world, or envying others that I fail to see the wonders around me.  Increase my awareness and appreciation of all the gifts You give –whether great or small – and may my response be gladness and thankfulness to You.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment