Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Climbing Our Mountains of Difficulties on God’s Strength Rather Than Our Own Steam


“But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength”
 (II Timothy 4:17).

You may remember the children’s story, The Little Engine That Could.  It’s the story of a small train that helped a larger train get up and over a difficult mountain.  The story emphasizes self-confidence, hard work, and a willing spirit, which are important character qualities.  But faced with the many problems of earthly life, we need something other than our own “steam”.  We need God’s strength.

Lately I have been trying to run on my own steam.  My husband is retiring and we are moving out of state.  It was overwhelming preparing our house to sell, particularly since my back and fibro issues kept me from being much help.  When our house sells, we will have to find a new home, pack up ourselves as well as my mother, and get moved in a short period of time. 

It has been challenging trying to downsize, gather medical records, fit in appointments, and see friends.  Packing and unpacking will be difficult.  When I become stressed and anxious, I am trying to chug up these mountains on my own strength rather than God’s. 

Chronic pain and illness are like continual mountain ranges to climb.  When we reach the top of one, we are faced with another.  We need steam to keep going, and our own is not enough.  Thankfully when we run on the fuel of faith, Scripture, prayer, and praise, God will provide the strength we need. 

Remember what the little engine said?  “I think I can, I think I can”.  Well I know I can’t, but God can.  So whatever mountains I’m facing today, I know God can and will give me the strength to keep climbing as I honor and trust Him.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, forgive me for the times when I try to handle my problems in my own strength, rather than trusting You.  Thank you for being at my side continually, strengthening me for every challenge I face.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment