Tuesday, March 25, 2014

God Revives Our Hearts


“Will you not revive us again, so that your people may rejoice in you?” 
(Psalm 85:6).
 
Where I live, this has been one of the hardest and longest winters we have had in a while.  My contacts with friends and other believers have been greatly limited because of bad weather.  I am tired of seeing only brown and white, tired of being cold and hurting, and ready for the warmth and colors of spring.
As I drove through town recently, I noticed the welcome sight of spring revival - flowers beginning to bloom. I literally felt like crying!  God revived my spirit with the hope that this long winter will end and spring is coming.
Chronic pain may seem like an unending winter, yet God is faithful to bring moments of revival even in the most difficult times.  It may be through encouragement from a friend, reading an article or Scripture passage, a reprieve from suffering, or one small flower in an otherwise bleak place.  His means of revival come in various forms, but they are there if I look for them. 
When something is revived, it is given new health, vigor and spirit. It may also be returned to effectiveness.  How many times have I felt like giving up or shutting down, totally incapable of maintaining my own faith in God, much less being an effective testimony to others? Yet God has faithfully and continually revived me with fresh hope, perseverance, and the ability to serve Him.
The flowers I saw that day were covered in snow the next, but I knew it wouldn't last.  Spring revival is coming. And in the same way, God will revive me in the midst of my most barren and hopeless times and will continue to do so until there are no more winters.  So I will look for that one small flower in the bleakness, and rejoice.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your Word says that You live within me, reviving my heart and spirit (Isaiah 57:15).  Thank you for faithfulness to do so, and make me ever more aware of the revivals You bring through my pain and suffering.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment