Monday, July 30, 2012

The Moon Waxes and Wanes, but God’s Presence with Us Does Not

“My salvation shall be forever, my righteousness shall not wane”
 (Isaiah 51:6b NASB).

During the summer I love to sit outside in the evenings and listen to the sights and sounds of nature. I haven’t been able to do that much this summer because it has either been too hot or I’ve been too tired.  But one night a few weeks ago the moon was bigger and more beautiful than I have ever seen it.

When I read this verse in Isaiah I remembered that moon. The moon waxes and wanes in earth’s sight depending upon its astronomical position, but it is always there.  I thought about my view of God.  There are times when I am struggling with a pain or problem and God shines forth in hugeness and greatness like that glorious moon I saw.  There are other times when His presence seems to wane and He is not as visible to me.

But He IS there, just as the moon is there.  God’s salvation - His saving power in my life to bring me through any and everything - does not wane.  I may not see it clearly all the time.  He may be hidden by clouds or my position may be such that He is not visible for a time, but He is always there.

In eternity God’s presence will be revealed completely - more beautiful and bright than the most spectacular moon here on earth.  Until then I treasure the moments when He shines in huge and visible ways to me here.  When His presence seems to wane, I know it is only a passing cloud or my position that is blocking my sight of Him.  Afterward I will appreciate the light and beauty of His presence even more, and hopefully will have grown in the assurance of that presence even during the waning moments of my life.

Prayer: Give me faith to believe You are there when the clouds and darkness of life seem to hide You.  Thank you that Your presence is constant and unchanging, even when my perception of You may wane.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment