Friday, July 6, 2012

Staying Plugged in to God's Power

“Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power”
(Ephesians 6:10).

We recently experienced a severe wind storm called a derecho and were without power for almost three days.  Temperatures in the 90’s and 100’s made the situation even more uncomfortable.

I did not handle those three days too well.  I was thankful for the generator giving us fans and refrigeration.  I also had the option of going to my parents’ apartment to stay cool.  But one thing I did not do was to stay plugged in to God’s power.  I was hot and irritable.  I was frustrated that   I couldn’t be of more help. I didn’t feel like reading Scripture or praying, other than sending up prayers for power to be restored and thanking God for my wonderful husband and a generator. 

Without electricity our modern lives come to a halt – no refrigeration, no email, no cable TV, no air or heat, sometimes no water, and no Facebook J!  In order to benefit from electricity we must be plugged in through electrical wiring.  Otherwise the power is useless.  But what a blessing that power is when we are connected. 

Without staying plugged in to God’s Word and communication with Him, I lose important blessings as well, such as strength for difficult situations, a peaceful, positive attitude, patience, and less anxiety and stress. I didn’t experience many of those blessings because I didn’t maintain an ongoing connection with my power source.

Living with pain and problems is a continual test and life in general brings many additional trials.  I can only survive by God’s power and strength, not my own.  But I must stay plugged in to Him to benefit.  I imagine there will be plenty of other opportunities for me to practice what I have learned.  I hope the next time I’m faced with such a difficulty, I will stay connected with God whether I feel like it or not.  I do hope and pray though that it will be awhile before God tests me again with lack of power in the summer heat! 

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, You are my source of strength and power.  Give me a willing and obedient spirit to maintain my connection with You, especially through the difficult times.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment