Friday, May 27, 2011

Some "R & R" from God's Word


“They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations”
 (Isaiah 61:4).

For many people, summer brings anticipation of vacations and long-awaited “r & r” – rest and relaxation. While reading this verse in Isaiah, I noticed some other “r” words that benefit me more than any vacation.

This passage describes what God’s redeemed people will do. They will rebuild, restore, and renew. Although I am very familiar with these words, I looked up the definitions again. To rebuild is to remodel extensively or reconstruct with new parts. To restore is to bring back to a former condition, health, or strength. To renew is make fresh or strong again or to revive.

How do these words impact my own life? There are ruinous old thought habits that need to be reconstructed- thought patterns of fear, despair, negativity, and hopelessness. They need to be replaced with the truth of God’s Word which reminds me that God’s Spirit and power are within me, giving me the courage and strength to fight old ways of responding to my problems. Although in this life my body may not be restored to the health of years past, God is able to restore my soul and give me fresh strength to endure my earthly trials until I receive my new and perfect body in eternity. I need God’s Word and Spirit to revive me when I feel I’ve had all I can take of pain, suffering, and disappointment.

Sometimes my health conditions limit my traveling abilities. A summer vacation may not always be a possibility for me. And many times my aches and pains keep me from really feeling restful and relaxed. But these words in Isaiah are truths I can claim regardless of how limited I am, how much pain I’m experiencing, or how devastated I feel my life is. Praise God for His wonderful “R & R’s”!

Prayer: Heavenly Father, give me hope and faith to trust You for the rebuilding, restoring, and renewing that I need in my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment