Monday, May 2, 2011

A Child of the King


“You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God”
(I Peter 2:9).

I recently watched the royal wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton. Although I enjoyed the pomp and majesty of the surroundings, what struck me most was the couple themselves. They are a stunning couple – physically attractive and in seemingly excellent health. Part of me rejoiced with them and prayed for God’s blessing in their lives. Yet I must admit part of me struggled with envy, not simply for their surroundings but for their physical health and appearance as well.

As I dealt with these thoughts, God brought to mind some Biblical truths. I remembered that I have access to the throne room of God, who loves me in ways I cannot even comprehend; I am a daughter of the King of the Universe and the Prince of Peace is my constant companion; Buckingham Palace cannot compare to the splendors of my eternal home; the wedding feast of the Lamb will be beyond any earthly banquet I could ever imagine; when I meet my Bridegroom face to face, my body will be perfect and complete inwardly and outwardly.

Part of me still longs to look and feel like this royal couple. Pain, age, and medications have taken a toll on my earthly body. Yet I also know that even now I am clothed with the garments of salvation and arrayed in a robe of righteousness, and have been given a crown of beauty for ashes and a garment of praise for despair (Isaiah 61:3,10). God is enthralled with me (Psalm 45:11) and I am part of God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved (Colossians 3:12).

For those of us who know God, our royal wedding is still to come. Our days of pain and suffering are our preparation for that divine Marriage Supper of the Lamb. May we let perseverance finish its work so that we will be mature and complete, lacking nothing (James 1:4).

Prayer: Heavenly Father, no eye has seen the wonders that You have prepared for me in your eternal kingdom. As I await that day while facing my daily struggles, give me the strength and desire to live as a child worthy of the King. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment