Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Living by Faith and Not by Sight


“We live by faith and not by sight” (II Corinthians 5:7).

This verse has become more real to me recently. Having fibromyalgia, I go through periods of dealing with pain in a specific location. When one pain disappears, another one replaces it. Right now my eyes are causing visual problems which affect my daily life.

With good vision I am able to be independent of others and, for the most part, can do what I want to do when I want to do it. I can see where I’m going as well as where I don’t want to go. I feel I am in control of my life and can plan accordingly. My current vision problem has changed some of those situations and I have become frustrated and fearful.

I can relate this physical situation to my spiritual life. When I live by sight only, I want God’s help and guidance for my life, but I am relying on what I see as well. I am more in control and may question God if I don’t care for the direction He is taking me. I prefer tangible signs to guide me, and I may even ignore His leading and go my own way at times.

Living by faith however means that I allow God to lead me, sometimes not knowing where I am going. The unknown can be a fearful place when I can’t see what lies ahead. Yet that is what God asks me to do – trusting Him completely, walking confidently with Him even when I don’t know where the next step will take me, and giving Him total control of my life.

I am praying that my physical vision will be completely restored soon. It would make my life easier and more enjoyable. As for my spiritual vision, I need only see far enough to find Christ – just one step ahead.

Prayer: All the way my Savior leads me – what have I to ask beside? Can I doubt His tender mercy, who through life has been my guide? Heavenly peace, divinest comfort, here by faith in Him to dwell! For I know, what-e’er befall me, Jesus doeth all things well (Hymn). Amen.

1 comment:

  1. my beauty - i am praying for your sight to be restored!

    the same thing happened to me a few months ago, and i was devastated... reading was all i had! but that was exactly the point - God was letting me reach a point of total "isolation" from the world so all i had was Him... and He finally could get my attention!

    i am praying that God makes His motives known to you, be they something small or something a bit more intricate. hang in there, my dear, and hold fast to what you KNOW to be true instead of what the body tells you it feels. don't forget, in Philippians 3:21 Christ tells us He will transform the humble state of our bodies into conformity with the body of HIS GLORY!

    Big hugs and bigger prayers - Rebekah

    ReplyDelete