Sunday, February 28, 2010

I Will Always Have Hope


“But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.  My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure”
 (Psalm 71:14,15).

Hope is a dichotomous word to me. I have had positive experiences with hope – pleasant expectations fulfilled, desires satisfied, pain relieved, and my eternal future secured. I have also had negative experiences – another drug that didn’t help me, a new doctor who had no answers, another activity in which I was unable to participate, another cycle of pain/panic/depression. Sometimes I have felt as though my hope was gone and could never be brought back. I was too beaten down by this life.

The dictionary states that hope is to trust or rely on something, or a desire accompanied by expectation. In whom or what am I placing my hope? If it is a person, treatment, or pill, it may or may not be fulfilled. If it is in the Lord, it will always be satisfied. After days, weeks, or even months of no improvement or relief from struggles, it becomes easy to give up all hope. I may become fearful and despairing about the future during this earthly life. Recently a passage in the Old Testament came to mind. When God gave the Israelites manna, He gave them only enough for that day except on the day before the Sabbath. If they collected too much, doubting that God would provide the next day, it rotted and was worthless. God wanted them to believe that He would provide enough – daily. Daily is the key. God gives me hope for one day at a time. Each new morning, if I put my trust in Him for whatever the day may bring, the Holy Spirit will give me fresh hope.

When that happens I also experience another aspect of His salvation, which is His saving grace to bring me through the day. I realize I truly cannot comprehend its measure, but it is enough for today and that is all I need. It is all any of us need. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” (Romans 15:13).

Prayer: Gracious Lord, how comforting it is to know that my hope will never be disappointed when that hope is in You. Renew and refresh that hope today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment