Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Delightful Inheritance


“Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. . . surely I have a delightful inheritance”
 (Psalm 16:5,6).

The word “inheritance” brings pleasant pictures to my mind. I think of lovely antiques, heirloom jewelry, and perhaps an unexpected sum of money! Our spiritual inheritance is of far greater worth than any earthly one could be.

At times in this life, with this imperfect body, I am not content with my portion and cup. I would prefer something different. Yet Scripture says the Lord “assigned” this cup to me. If God chose the paths for my life, and if I truly believe in and trust Him for my ultimate good, then I should accept my cup willingly. He is all I need to satisfy my desires in every way.

This passage also states that the Lord has made my lot secure. He is in control of my destiny – past, present, and future. I know where my eternal future lies, but I also know He will be with me through everything I face in this life. I am not alone.

Truly I do have a delightful inheritance. Unlike an earthly one, I do not need to wait for someone’s death to receive it. The death took place years ago at Calvary. The gifts are mine, waiting for me accept them. God’s presence is with me daily - surrounding me, protecting me, guiding me, and loving me. In pain and pleasure, He is there to bring hope, joy, comfort, and peace. I can exclaim with the psalmist, “Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure” (Psalm 16:9). As I go through this life, may I be reminded of all He has given me even now, and rejoice.

Prayer: Gracious God, You have shown me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy and in Your right hand are pleasures evermore. Thank you that You are my most precious inheritance. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment