Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Battle Belongs to the Lord


“O Sovereign Lord, my strong deliverer, who shields my head in the day of battle” (Psalm 140:7).

The word “battle” evokes different images for different people. For my husband, who is interested in military history, it would bring to mind strategic moments in the Civil War or World War II - Gettysburg or the Battle of the Bulge. For myself, who enjoys medieval history, I might envision knights and castles, battering rams and catapults. In the Christian realm, we are reminded of our battles against the world, the flesh, and the devil.

For those of us with pain and illness, the word "battle" may take on an entirely new meaning. Every day may become a battle of some sort – battling depression, fear, anxiety, discouragement, weakness, pain, or disappointment. Just as with actual physical battles, our bodies feel the fight. War is exhausting and leaves its scars.

Scripture compares our Christian walk to a battle and reminds us that the battle is not ours but God’s (II Chronicles 20:15). In our own strength we are not capable of handling the daily barrage of attacks on our bodies and the mental anguish that comes with them. But the Lord is more than able. Note that in the above verse the head is what is shielded. How necessary it is for the Lord to guard our thoughts daily, keeping them focused on Him and His strength rather than the trials and struggles at hand.

Our Lord is a strong deliverer and will support us and carry us through every battle of each day. We may feel as though we have been slain and are lying in the dust, unable to get up yet again to fight. But God’s Word says He gives us His shield of victory and His right hand sustains us. He will be with us through every battle today and the next day and the next, until the ultimate battle is fought, won, and we are free. For today, “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power” (Ephesians 6:10).

Prayer: God of power and might, You are my Jehovah-Nissi – my banner held high, going before me in my daily battles. I praise You for the victories You give and for being my strength when I am weak. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment