Sunday, March 20, 2016

Rejoice and Be Glad in THIS Day


“This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it”
(Psalm 118:24).

There is a simple praise song based on this verse which I sang with my children when they were little.   Now that I deal with ongoing pain, at times I have difficulty singing those words truthfully from my heart. 
 
I once learned something very interesting about this verse from Beth Moore’s Bible study on the Psalms of Ascent.  Psalms 113-118 are part of the Hallel, which were Psalms sung by the Jewish people during Passover and other festivals, even before the time of Christ.  Jesus was in Jerusalem for the Passover just before His death.  He would have sung these words at some point during the seven day celebration, possibly even on the night of the last supper (Mark: 14:26).

Jesus knew that within a few days or maybe hours of singing these words, He would go through the agony of Gethsemane, betrayal, trial, excruciating pain, and crucifixion.  Yet He still sang with His disciples.  Although He was sinless we know from Scripture that He experienced human emotions.  How hard it must have been for Him to join in song knowing what lay ahead. 

Although my pain and trials cannot begin to compare to what Christ suffered, He understands how hard it is for me to rejoice in a day that may very well be filled with great difficulties.  He is able to sympathize with me in my every weakness (Hebrews 4:15).  Keeping these thoughts in mind, I hope I can believe and speak these words of rejoicing regardless of how I am feeling. 

Even though that first Good Friday brought great agony for Christ, it truly was a day to rejoice.  Death and sin were defeated forever.  Whatever suffering I may be experiencing will also eventually bring a reason to rejoice.  Therefore, I will rejoice and be glad – Resurrection Day is coming.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, I thank you for the example You give of praying and praising in times of difficulty or suffering.  Give me the perseverance and desire to rejoice and be glad every day, even as I wait for my own resurrection into new life.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment