Saturday, January 2, 2016

Does Your Soul Need a Spa Experience? Try a Scripture Soak.


“The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul” (Psalm 19:7).

Not too far from me is a famous luxury hotel and spa called the Grove Park Inn.  Although I have not been there yet (it’s a bit cost-prohibitive for my pocketbook!), my dream is to someday get a day pass just to soak in the beautiful cave-like pools that look so inviting.

Of course this spa offers various treatments as well. Massages, facials, manicures, herbal soaks, – you name it and they offer it. Given the popularity of spas today, it seems that many people are looking for relaxation, relief, and escape from the tensions and stresses of life.

Soaking in a mineral bath or cave pool may be lovely, but soaking in Scripture has its own benefits.  Here are a few.

Do we need to brighten our look?  “Those who look to him are radiant” (Psalm 34:5).

Do we need to relax and let go of tension and fear? “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).

Do we need to find lasting joy rather than temporary relief? “The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart” (Psalm 19:8).

Whatever our pain or problem, there is a Scripture to meet our need.  All we have to do is take time to soak in God’s Word and act on it in faith.

I would love to escape and indulge in a visit to this world-renowned spa, and maybe someday I will.  But in the meantime, praise God, soaking in Scripture is free, requires no reservation, and is easily accessible.  And better yet, its effects remain with me long after the treatment is over.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, so often I want to escape from my pain and problems.  The world offers such experiences, but their relief is only temporary.  You should be my first resort – not my last.  Your Words have the power to refresh and restore me like nothing else can. Thank you for reviving my soul. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment