Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Significance of a Satisfied Soul


“I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you”
 (Psalm 63:5).

Have you ever noticed how many holiday and social events revolve around food?  Thanksgiving is probably the most obvious one, but usually any special day involves eating.

Food has become challenging for me.  Certain foods aggravate my pain, and I feel that others are not the best for my overall health.  Sometimes these restrictions, whether medically or self-imposed, make it hard to enjoy holidays. I end up feeling dissatisfied and discontent.

Some translations of Psalm 63:5 replace “I” with “my soul”. The Psalmist compares the spiritual satisfaction of his relationship with God to the physical satisfaction of earthly food. Having a personal relationship with the living God is like having the best spiritual meal ever:  “Taste and see that the Lord is good” (Psalm 34:8); “He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things” (Psalm 107:9).

I need to consider whether I am spending as much, if not more time, satisfying my soul than my body.  Making choices to nurture my relationship with God requires self-discipline and sacrifice, just as my food choices do, but my spiritual and physical health are better for it.

Holidays and social gatherings aren’t just about food.  They’re about the blessings of relationships and the significance behind the celebrations.  So this Thanksgiving and the remainder of the holiday season, I need to focus on all the blessings God has given me, including being thankful for what I can eat and the fact that I even have alternate choices. 

Above all, I need to remember that in God my soul can be completely satisfied here and now, even if my taste buds are not. That blessing will stay with me long after the brief satisfaction of a tasteful meal is over.

And so with singing lips, I will praise Him and give thanks.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, it’s so easy for me to look for contentment and satisfaction in earthly things.  I can easily get my priorities out of balance, spending more time trying to satisfy my physical needs than my spiritual ones.  This Thanksgiving and holiday season, let my primary focus be praising and thanking You for Your blessings in my life and for the eternally satisfying fulfillment that comes from knowing You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment