Saturday, December 14, 2013

One Celebration that Pain Will Not Cause Me to Miss


Then the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!”
(Revelation 19:9).

Traditionally holidays are a social time of sharing food and fellowship with family or friends.  But those of us with health problems know that holidays can be discouraging and lonely times.

We may not be able to visit family or have the ability to entertain them ourselves.  We may be in too much discomfort to go to social events that we would enjoy.  We may not be able to eat certain holiday foods because of allergies or digestive issues.  We may not have the ability or resources to buy gifts. We may not even be able to attend a church service.  Even though we rejoice in Christ’s birth and know that it’s not about all the traditions of the season, we can feel self-pity and isolation.

Last December my husband I visited Longwood Gardens. My favorite display was a huge and beautifully decorated banquet table.  It reminded me of that wonderful day when Scripture is fulfilled and all believers will join together in the Marriage Supper of the Lamb.  How I look forward to that day!

Christmas is not just about Christ’s birth – although that is certainly something to celebrate.  But because He came, lived, died, and rose, conquering sin and death, I have that wonderful banquet to look forward to.  No pain or problems will keep me from it, and all fellow believers I love or who I have lost will be there, along with countless other believers through the ages.

No earthly holiday celebration can equal the Marriage Supper of the Lamb, or the eternal joys that will follow.  So this Christmas, if there are things I must give up because of my pain, yes, I will be disappointed.  Yes, I may grieve and feel loss.  But then I hope I will move forward and focus on the true meaning of Christmas, rejoicing in what is to come because of it.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, whatever I may have to give up this holiday season, keep me focused on the full significance of Your coming to earth.  Let those truths replace all worldly expectations, and fill me with joyful hope and expectation.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment