Friday, July 29, 2011

Speaking the Truth of Scripture to Ourselves

“It is written:
 ‘I believed; therefore I have spoken.’ With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak.”
 (II Corinthians 4:13).

Negative self-talk is a real weakness in me. Whether it’s fear about my “pain of the day”, discouragement about my inabilities, battling with depression, or countless other things, many of my thoughts do not fit the description of victorious Christian living.

I am currently working on the Beth Moore Bible study Believing God. She mentions the effectiveness of verbally speaking God’s Word. Of course God’s Word is active when we read or meditate on it silently, but there is something very powerful in verbally speaking His truths. Satan cannot read our minds but he can hear our voice. When God’s Word goes forth, Satan trembles and flees.

If I truly believe God’s Word in faith, speaking it out loud confirms that truth in my spirit. I have seen God work miraculously as I verbalize my faith through Scripture. If I am constantly speaking negative, untrue thoughts to myself, I actually contribute to my health problems and see myself as Satan wants me to rather than as who I am in Christ. Proverbs 15:4 says that the tongue of the wise is a tree of life but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit. Many times Satan’s deceitful lies have crushed my spirit – my life is hopeless, I can’t endure this pain any longer, I’m useless and insignificant. But speaking the truth of God’s Word does bring healing – perhaps not physical healing but a healing of my attitude, bringing hope and the ability to persevere with faith.

I have collected various Scriptures that apply to my most difficult struggles. When I am tempted to dwell on negative thoughts, I read aloud the verses that speak truth to that particular situation. God has accomplished mighty things through this action and I trust in faith that He will do more. “The Word that God speaks is alive and full of power (making it active, operative, energizing, and effective)” Hebrews 4:12 AMP. Thank God that His Word never returns void.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, give me the self-discipline to speak Your Word to myself, for Your Word is truth and Your truth sets me free. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment