Saturday, January 16, 2016

“What Are You Asking From God?”


“Your Father knows what you need before you ask him”
(Matthew 6:8).

I don’t know about you, but many of my prayers are requests of God.  They are not necessarily selfish, but they are based on what I think I need not just to enjoy life more but to serve Him better.

I can across this little writing when I was in college - another lifetime ago that was relatively free from pain and problems. I don’t remember who wrote it, but even then the words affected me.  They have become even more meaningful to me as the years have gone by.

I said:

I need:
Laughter
Wealth
Success
Power
Good Health
Happiness
Sunshine

He said:

Always remember:

All laughter would be monotonous
All wealth would not satisfy
All success would stifle growth
All power would be misused
All good health would be taken for granted
All happiness would grow dull
All sunshine makes a desert”

We may never understand this side of heaven why God is allowing us to endure such pain and suffering. That’s where faith comes in.

But we can be assured that whether we understand and agree with it or not, God really does know what we need most - all the time. So if we don’t always get what we ask for, God has His reasons, and those reasons are rooted in perfect love.

Prayer: O Lord, so many times I think I know what is best for me, but You choose otherwise.  Give me the faith to trust Your decisions. Make me aware of Your presence even in the hard times.  Give me joy in knowing You love me enough to not always give me what I ask for, because in Your wisdom, You see what I cannot.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment