Friday, December 11, 2015

Finding Signs of Hope, Encouragement, and Joy in the Sights and Sounds of Christmas


“This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger” (Luke 2:12).

When my girls were young, they enjoyed the I Spy books.  The Christmas book was one of their favorites.  Each page contained a delightful scene filled with objects hidden in various ways, along with a list of specific ones to find. The girls were persistent, but many times I gave up in frustration!

Health challenges may keep us from experiencing many of the traditional sights and sounds of Christmas, but there are hidden signs of hope and encouragement that can bring us joy in the midst of our pain and problems.  Think about the following “hidden” messages.

Candles and lights: “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life” (John 8:12).

Celebrations and decorations: “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind conceived what God has prepared for those who love him” (I Corinthians 2:9).

Christmas music:  “Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth, burst into jubilant song with music” (Psalm 98:4).

Christmas tree:  “I am like a green pine tree; your fruitfulness comes from me” (Hosea 14:8).

Food:  “He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things” (Psalm 107:9).

Gifts:  “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son” (John 3:16).  “Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!” (II Corinthians 9:15).

Star:  I am the Root and Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star” (Revelation 22:16).

If your pain and problems are limiting your enjoyment of the season or you are feeling hopeless and discouraged, why not play your own I Spy game?  See what verses of hope, encouragement, and joy you can find hidden in these and other signs of Christmas.  Don’t give up!  Keep looking.  Scripture is full of these hidden treasures – a perfect gift from God to you this Christmas!

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, thank you for the way you reveal Yourself through the sights and sounds of Christmas.  These are treasures I can find and enjoy regardless of poor health or difficult circumstances.  Fill me with hope and joy as I seek and find the gifts of Your presence and Your promises to me. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment