Saturday, June 20, 2015

How Are You Fighting the Battles Against Pain and Suffering?


“May the praise of God be in their mouths and a double-edged sword in their hands” (Psalm 149:6).

Independence Day is approaching here in the United States. Some signs of the holiday include televised war movies, historical re-enactments, and fireworks displays. These are all reminders of battles fought for freedom.

In our war with pain and suffering, we fight battles every day. So how are we fighting these battles? This verse mentions a very important weapon of warfare – praise. Praising God is a double-edged sword. A double-edged sword wields greater power than a single-edged sword because it can strike in several directions simultaneously. And many times we do face multiple attacks at once from which we long to be free – attacks of physical pain, depression, insecurity, lack of self-worth, fears, and many others, including the normal difficulties and problems of life.

Although praise is certainly not the only way to overcome these enemies, it is an important and powerful one. I find the best way to apply this concept is to have some favorite Scripture verses of praise on hand at all times. When I am in the midst of a difficult battle - whether it’s pain-related or not - I speak these words of praise and pray for the faith to believe them. God will honor that. I may still be wounded but I will not be defeated.

I don’t know how many soldiers have used praise in their battles for freedom, but I do know that in my life battles, it’s one of the most important weapons for attacking the enslavements that pain and suffering can bring. So I will lift my sword of praise and be, as one commentary described it, a blend of chorister and crusader. And I will persevere in the knowledge of the eternal freedom that is coming.

Prayer: O God, You know how I long to be free from my pain and suffering and how weary I become fighting my battles with them. I ask for the diligence and desire to praise You in these battles. And I ask that You strengthen me and keep my faith strong until my war is over. In the mighty name of Jesus, Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment