Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Thanksgiving Banquet We Can All Serve


“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone”
(Colossians 4:6).

“Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks”
 (Matthew 12:34).

Two of the things I associate most with Thanksgiving are thanks and food. In my NIV worship Bible there is a prayer based on Colossians 4:6 which I think is very appropriate for the Thanksgiving season.

“O Lord, may my heart overflow with worship.  May my conversation be a feast of life:  May Christ be the bread and Your Spirit the wine, may praise be the fruit and grace the salt, may love be the table and wisdom the candle.  May I always be prepared to feed anyone who hungers for the hope that I have in Christ.”

This is a beautiful word picture of a meal we can offer to others, whether we are healthy or not.  It doesn’t require physical labor, but it may require labors of love, sacrifice, and self-discipline.  There is no monetary cost, but we may pay with patience, forgiveness, and acceptance of others.

The beauty of these elements surpasses any earthly holiday decorations, and they are appropriate for any season of the year. The food causes no allergies and is safe for any health condition – in fact it will strengthen the bodies and souls of those who serve it and those who receive it.

We can serve this meal from a banquet table or a bedside one.  If we are alone this holiday, we can send care packages of this feast to any location through notes, phone calls, and emails.  It is very well-preserved and can travel anywhere.

There are no shortages of these elements, and they are always accessible, provided we go to the right Supplier.

This Thanksgiving, may the thanks in our hearts overflow through our mouths, and may we find ways to offer this feast of blessing to others.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, regardless of how I am feeling or what my circumstances are this Thanksgiving, let my words be a feast of thanks to You and a testimony of Your presence in my life to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment