Thursday, February 20, 2014

Giving Our Anxieties to God


“Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken”
(Psalm 55:22).

Anxiety is a well-known word in our culture.   One source I read said that it is the most common mental illness in America - affecting at least 40 million adults - and I am one of them.

Some definitions of anxiety state that it is based on unreal or perceived problems or circumstances rather than on conditions that are legitimately threatening.  I understand that differentiation, but sometimes I feel my anxiety is based on very legitimate possibilities. 

Right now I’m anxious about the logistics of our upcoming retirement and move out of state.  I’m concerned about health problems of friends and family that seem to be unending.  I’m anxious about my continual headaches and eye problems.  These may seem to be legitimate concerns, but when I am anxious for any reason, I am not trusting God’s sovereignty in my life.

In her book, Calm My Anxious Heart, Linda Dillow described a great visual way of dealing with anxiety.  She found a decorative box and called it her anxiety box.  Whenever she was troubled by a situation, she wrote the problem down on a piece of paper and put it in this box.  She then prayed about it, committing it to God. 
 
Afterwards, whenever she found herself becoming anxious or worried about that problem, her box was a reminder that she had given that situation to the Lord and it was in His hands.  Periodically she would re-read the papers inside the box, praising and thanking God for the situations He had resolved and recommitting the worrisome ones to Him.  What a great visual reminder to cast our burdens on the Lord, knowing He will carry us through whatever comes.

There was a popular marching song during both world wars that said, “Pack up your worries in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile”.  I would say, give God your worries in your anxiety box and pray, pray, pray – and then smile and keep marching forward in faith!

Prayer:  Lord God, I confess that many times I become anxious over circumstances in my life rather than trusting You for the outcomes.  Thank you for the wonderful comfort and privilege of being able to give them to You, knowing that I do not need to be shaken because You will sustain me through them all.  Amen.

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your encouraging words♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Peggy. I pray that if you are anxious about anything right now, you can give it to God and be at peace :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really working on giving it all over to God. I think if I worked less hours I might not be in so much pain. I own a business and work 55 hours a week. I'm just trusting God and taking one day at a time. Be blessed ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine how difficult that must be to work so much! I pray for God's strength for you, and yes, taking one day at a time is the best way for all of us. We don't get tomorrow's grace today :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your response. I'm am so thankful for God's grace and mercy. Thank God his mercies are new every day. I've asked God many times why am I here? We started our auto repair shop 10 years ago. We stepped out in faith. We have ministered to many people. Then about 5 years ago my health began to deteriorate. Sometimes I don't think I have it in me to minister. Then yesterday I received a letter from a long time customer. She has a rare lymphatic disease, she sent me a picture b of her and her son. She had no hair from the treatments but she had a big smile. Her son is in the service and they had been estranged. I had been praying for their relationship to be restored. She wrote to ask me to pray for her health and thank me. She said my faith was so strong it humbled her. My point with all of this is, God wants me to pray for my customers. When your sick, well sometimes it's so hard to pray for others. I feel unworthy because I'm falling apart. I have to remember it's Jesus not me. Thanks for being here.♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful testimony to the power of God in your life and how He uses us even in our weaknesses – in fact, especially in our weaknesses. I do understand what you mean about it being hard to minister to others when we are in bad shape ourselves, but when God calls us to do something, He always provides the power to do it. For as long as He is calling you to maintain your business, He will enable you to do it, and I pray for wisdom and direction for you to know when God is ready to move you on to something else. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so appreciate your prayers. I've been telling my husband that I'm ready to sell and retire. I know we both want to stay in God's will and not move ahead. I need prayers and we need wisdom from God. Thank you for your support and your wisdom. Be blessed ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will definitely be praying. My husband is retiring next month and it's exciting but a little scary at the same time - trusting God to provide for our needs and give us other ways serve when we move.

    ReplyDelete