Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Lord Has Dealt Bountifully with Me

“You brought us to a place of abundance”
(Psalm 66:12).

As Thanksgiving approaches, I like to focus more than usual on thankfulness, but this can be an effort when life is full of pain and problems.

This year has been a difficult one for me.  My father died, my daughter donated a kidney, I experienced setbacks with my back problems, and my future son-in-law is dealing with brain cancer.  None of these things have been easy, but I see blessings in them.  My dad is free from pain and died quickly.  My daughter’s kidney donation was a total success, and she saved a life.   God showed His faithfulness through another round of back pain.  Brain cancer is causing my daughter and her fiancé to grow tremendously in their walks with God. Despite the exhaustion and pain I have felt through these and other situations, God has been incredibly faithful and given me the strength to keep going.

I don’t believe God expects me to downplay my sufferings.  He knows and understands my daily physical, mental, and emotional trials.  But I do believe He wants me to see the good as well.  My times are in God’s hands, and everything He brings into my life has the potential for my ultimate good and blessing, whether here or in eternity.

There have been and will be times when I don’t feel thankful.  In those moments, praise God I can rely on the truth that He knows my frame and remembers I am dust (Psalm 103: 14). He understands my human frailties and loves and accepts me even in my failures.  But as I seek the good in any and every circumstance, the constant goodness and bountifulness of God shine more clearly.

Prayer:  Dear Lord, I must confess I am not always as thankful as I should be.  Despite life’s pain and problems, help me to see all the blessings You give me, not only during this Thanksgiving season but throughout the year.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment