Thursday, November 1, 2012

Blessing and Thanking God through the Pain and Devastations of Life

I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth”
(Psalm 34:1 KJV).

As November begins, the east coast is suffering the overwhelming aftereffects of Hurricane Sandy.  Praise God, we did not experience much damage this time, but my heart is heavy for those who did.  I wonder how hard it will be for Christians in those areas to be truly this thankful this Thanksgiving season, having suffered such great devastation.

I was reminded of these words from the contemporary worship song “10,000 Reasons” by Matt Redman -  “whatever may pass and whatever lies before me, let me be singing when the evening comes”.  How hard it is to do that through crises like these natural disasters.

Those of us with ongoing pain and illness can relate to that difficulty.  We know the devastation that pain has caused and how it affects every aspect of our lives.  Unlike the destruction from natural disasters however, the effects of our problems may be irreparable.  Our bodies may not undergo reconstruction until eternity.  Are we still able to bless the Lord and praise Him at all times?

David, the author of this Psalm, saw much destruction and devastation in his own personal and public life.  Although physical pain may not have been a problem for him, we know he experienced many tragedies, yet he admonished himself to bless the Lord at all times.

As Thanksgiving approaches I want to acknowledge all the many blessings God has given me, but I also want to bless and thank Him through my pain and problems.  Those are the tools He is using to reconstruct me into the eternally new creation that is coming - one that will never suffer the devastating effects of this fallen world again.  So whatever difficulties come this Thanksgiving season, may I bless God through them and be thankful.

Prayer:  Lord, I know that no suffering You allow in this life is sent without Your great love and divine purpose for eternal good. I thank You for all the blessings in my life.  I also pray that through the hard times, by Your grace, all that is within me will still bless Your holy name.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment