Monday, February 20, 2012

Seeking the Sonshine

“Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always” (Psalm 105:4).

I love gardening, and although I am limited in what I can physically do, I greatly miss my flowers during the winter months, so for Christmas a friend gave me an amaryllis plant to grow. I appreciated it but had difficulty in deciding where to put it since direct sunlight is filtered through the large trees in our yard. I finally decided to place it in front of the sliding door in our dining room each morning and move it out of the way each night. I wasn’t sure if it would grow, but I am thrilled that the plant is now much higher than my hopes and ready to bloom!

As I happily watch my plant’s progress, I am reminded of how much I need not only the earthly sun but also the heavenly Son. The warmth of God’s Spirit is my comfort on many emotionally dark days. My plant is very tall and I must keep rotating it so that it will grow evenly. I need the rays of God’s Word to help me grow in all areas of my Christian life. His Word and Spirit speak to any and every situation I face. If I move my plant away from the sun its growth will be stunted. I want to see this beautiful bud bloom. God wants me to bloom as well and I can only do that by seeking Him constantly. Even a few days without Him can cause me to droop. He truly is my source of light and life and seeking His face through the Word, worship music, prayer, and other means of support needs to be a daily priority for me.

It is wonderful to see the beauty of my amaryllis plant in the deadness of winter. And by faith, I am believing God will enable me to bloom even through the winters of my pain as I continually seek His face.

Prayer: Lord You are the light of my life. I want to remain in Your light so that I will grow and bloom not only on bright days but on cold dark days as well. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment