Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Complaints or Creativity

“You have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator (Colossians 3:9, l0).

Creativity and adaptability have never been my strong points but God is using my health problems to develop these character traits within me.

As my health has deteriorated I have given up various activities and responsibilities, and I am learning to accept these limitations. Yet I am also learning there may be creative ways to work around some weaknesses, rather than complaining and giving up hope.

Some of these adaptations are rather humorous. I have difficulty sleeping so have acquired quite an accumulation of pillows to keep me comfortable. Thankfully our bed is big and my husband is not, or he would be pushed on the floor by the mountain of pillows which varies nightly. Because of back pain, many times I either carry a heating pad or wear an ice pack under my clothes. Finding outlets and hoping I don’t develop leaks can be challenging! I play games with friends and do my computer work on my knees, and my pile of pillows are great knee pads.

These adaptations and others are a work in progress. At times I get very frustrated about all that I can’t do in a “normal” way. But God is using these circumstances to grow me in new ways. God is a God of creativity. We see that in the myriad species of plants, animals, insects, and humanity, ranging in all sizes, shapes, colors, and personalities. We as humans have been created in His likeness. We are not God or gods and never will be, but we possess the attributes and characteristics which He has chosen to give us.

Becoming more creative rather than complaining is one positive aspect of my pain. As I search to find new ways to manage my limitations, I quite possibly may find some God-given treasures along the way.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for renewing me in Your image. Rather than complaining, let me seek Your wisdom in finding the perfect balance of acceptance and creativity in my limitations. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment