Monday, May 17, 2010

Positive Deposits and Temporary Negatives


“Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance. . .”
(Ephesians 1:13, 14)

“What is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal” (II Corinthians 4:18).

Depression is an ongoing battle for me. I am unable to take antidepressants, so each new wave is a struggle to withstand. Friends have suggested that I have a pre-planned strategy to handle these depressive cycles.

As I was reading the above verse about the Holy Spirit, I began thinking of the concept of deposits. One definition of a deposit is a partial payment. I decided to keep a list of all the partial payments, or “little glimpses of eternity”, that God brings in to my life every day. These are my positives. I also remembered that my struggles are temporary, although right now they seem endless. I listed my trials as temporary negatives.

Keeping this daily list has been a tremendous help to my outlook. I am amazed at the many heavenly deposits I am given. Even small things can bring such joy if I allow them to -  a bird at my feeder, a rabbit in our yard, a good cup of tea, a phone call from my daughter, quiet time outside with God on a lovely morning, and many, many more.

Now when the suffocating heaviness of depression weighs me down, I think of my deposits and remind myself that the trials are temporary. Although I may struggle with depression here on earth, it is indeed temporary in the light of eternity. I do have to walk through fire in this life, but I have God’s word that I will not be consumed by it (Isaiah 43:2). His loving presence and comfort are shown in each sign of heaven on earth.

Prayer: Gracious God, thank You for the many ways You reveal yourself to me daily. Thank You for the hope of knowing that one day I will receive my full inheritance, and until that day, Your strength will carry me through my temporary earthly sufferings. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment